Baby Layette Checklist
What To Get For Your Baby's First Days
This baby layette checklist will help you figure out what you need to have for your baby's clothing for the first few weeks.
When you read this baby layette list below please understand that this list is general, but will be somewhat dependent upon the weather and season in your area when your baby is born.
If you have your baby in summer, you won't need the sweaters, for example, and if you have your baby in the winter you may want less t-shirts and more pajamas with feet, for example.
You can even get a free printable version of this checklist by scrolling to the bottom of this page for the link!
- 7 pajamas with feet
- 4 t-shirts and pants
- 3 sleep sacks (used as safe blankets)
- 2-3 hats
- 1 sweater
- 7 pairs of socks
- 1 homecoming outfit (for bringing your baby home from the hospital)
- 14 burp cloths
- 1-2 towels with hoods
- 4 baby washcloths
- 6 blankets that are big enough to swaddle your baby with
After your first baby you can use this layette checklist just to remind yourself what you need, to dig it out of storage.
If this is your first baby, you will most likely get lots of this stuff at any baby showers you might have. If you need to purchase this stuff on your own though, keep the following criteria in mind:
- Buy only sturdy, preshrunk, easily washable items, since you will wash these items a lot in the first couple of weeks
- It is better to buy big, and have the clothing look a little bit big on your baby, because your baby will grow so fast newborn sizes don't fit very long at all
- You will be changing lots of diapers, so make sure all clothes make it as easy as possible to change diapers
- If you choose disposable diapers you will be using a lot of them, and will need to replenish your supply regularly, so you may want to purchase from a place, like Amazon.com, which can regularly send you diapers as often as you specify.
- If you will be breastfeeding, and want skin on skin contact, keep the ease of getting your baby out of the clothing in mind also when choosing the outfits
Related Pages You May Enjoy
First Aid Kit Checklist
Printables And Checklists For Your Home And Family
Go From Baby Layette Checklist To Home Page