Printable Pumpkin Carving Patterns
Step 3: Once you have poked all the holes from the pattern into the pumpkin take off the paper and use a dry erase marker to connect the little dots into the pattern from the paper onto your pumpkin.
Hint: Why do I say a dry erase marker? You will most likely not cut exactly on the lines, and if you use a permanent marker, for instance, you will see black marks around parts of the pumpkin where it is cut. Not attractive.
The dry erase markers will wipe off, making it look like you cut it without using the lines. Much cooler.
Step 4: Begin to carve your pumpkin. Before beginning make sure you have decided which areas should be completely cut out, and those where the pumpkin should have the skin shaved off, leaving just flesh behind.
Many of the intricate patterns seen below use this second technique, as does the picture at the top of the page. You don't want to cut all the way through the wall of the pumpkin when using this technique, or it will not look correct and the pumpkin will most likely collapse as its walls weaken.
Free Printable Pumpkin Carving Patterns
Here are some free pumpkin carving stencils and patterns I have found around the web.
- Southern Living: 14 Easy Patterns
- Cartoon Jr. Printables - Lots of recognizable cartoon character pumpkin stencils
- Disney Family Pumpkin Carving Ideas - lots of Disney characters, including some from Frozen!
- Pumpkin Masters Free Patterns - 6 cool patterns, high quality
- Taste of Home Free Patterns - 8 patterns available
- Pumpkin Patterns from DLTK-Holidays - wide variety, some are more kid-friendly than others
- Spookmaster.com Freebies - 6 free patterns
- Pumpkinlady.com Free Patterns - 12 free ones, and then others for sale
- ExtremePumpkins.com - 48 Free Pumpkin Patterns - These patterns are pretty good, because they come from expert pumpkin carver Tom Nardone, who has been featured in many TV segments about carving pumpkins. Several are scary though, and may not be suitable for kids.
- Kid Friendly Character Pumpkin Patterns - these come from ZombiePumpkins.com, and are free once you join the site (there are also lots of other patterns to choose from once you visit the site)
- Pumpkin Carving Patterns From Celebrating-Halloween.com - These look pretty cool, although some are quite complicated. I especially like the dancing skeleton one.
Pumpkin Carving Stencils And Patterns You Can Purchase
There are many books you can buy which contain printable pumpkin carving patterns. Make sure to make a photocopy of the template you are using, so you can use it again the next year if you want.
Have fun carving your pumpkins this year with your family. If you make some cool ones using any of the templates linked to from here I would love for you to send me a picture, which I'll feature on the site!
Don't Miss My Ultimate Pumpkin Carving Tips
I've also created the ultimate guide to beginning pumpkin carving, with tips and tricks especially for those of us carving with our kids. You can read my pumpkin carving tips here.
Photo courtesy of rick
Some links on this page are affiliate links, meaning that if you purchase a product through them I receive a small commission which helps me provide this information to you for free, plus support my family. My integrity and your satisfaction are very important to me so I only recommend products I would purchase myself, and that I believe would benefit you. To learn more please see my disclosure statement.